| history | museum | colections| events| contact| info |

museum >> Poni Cernatescu Museum                                                                                                                                                   >> RO

Poni Cernatescu Museum

          The building at Str. M.Kogalniceanu 7B which houses nowadays “Poni-Cernatescu” Museum, inaugurated on 7 November 1991, was constructed in 1839 by Metropolitan Bishop Veniamin Costachi. It was there that lived starting from 1880 professor Petru Poni and his family, while later academician Radu Cernatescu moved in. In 1918, it was used to house the collections of the Library of the Romanian Academy and served as a meeting place for a series of personalities of the scientific and cultural life at mid 19th century and beginning of the 20th.
The inauguration of the museum house was possible thanks to donations (of the years 1974,1990) offered to "Moldova” National Museum Consortium of Iasi by prof. Florica Mageru, niece of the scientist Petru Poni. These donations included: furniture items, diplomas, medals, paintings and personal items belonging to Petru Poni's family.
The exhibition is arranged in six rooms and preserves testimonies of the life and scientific work of the members of Petru Poni's family, and about important personalities of Iasi in the field of chemistry, as well.

The Welcome Hall

           In the welcome hall are displayed exhibits related to the history of the house built in 1839 by Metropolitan Bishop Veniamin Costachi, inhabited starting from 1880 by Petru Poni's family, and later by the academician Radu Cernatescu.
The bronze bust sculpted in 1930 by Ion D. Bârlad and the oil portrait painted in 1903 by C.D. Stahi, bring back to life the memory of Petru Poni (1841-1925) - professor of chemistry at the "Al. I. Cuza” University in Iasi - author of the first teaching books of physics and chemistry in Romania - researcher of mineral waters, petrol and minerals in Romania - Minister of Education (1896,1910); member and president of the Romanian Academy in several phases (1898,1916,1918), considered for good reasons as one of the founders of the higher education in the field of chemistry in Romania.

Living Room

          Displaying objects of decorative art (furniture made at the end of the 19th century, in a furniture workshop in France, photos, art copies, as well as a delicate marble work by sculptor Fermont - donation offered to Petru Poni in anul 1900 on behalf of king Charles I), the space of the living room has served once as a literary room. The hostess was poetess Matilda Cugler – Poni, while constant guests were Mihai Eminescu, Veronica Micle, Ion Creanga, Nicolae Iorga, Titu Maiorescu etc.


          This room contains a considerable amount of specialized documentary material, more than 1100 reference titless, out of which mention should be made of: " Chemistry Treaty” (by A. Pelouze and Fremy); "Applied Chemistry” (author Henry Rose); "Dictionary of Chemistry” (author A.Wurtz); "Hallogene Derivatives of Bases Replaced by Nitrogen in the Nucleus” (author Radu Cernatescu); fiction and history books, etc.
          This room also preserves part of the laboratory equipment used by Petru Poni as teaching tools, and among them mention should be made of:: voltmeter, ampermeter, colormeter, calorimetric bomb "Mohr”, test tubes, measuring pots, reactives etc).
          There are also object which are representative for the epoch when lived this important personality of the Romanian technical culture, more exactly: desk clock, ink pot, desk kit, notebook, gas lamp, etc.

„Matilda Cugler - Poni” Room

           The volume intitled "Poems”, issued by Casa Scoalelor Publishing House in 1925 and literary manuscripts certify the activity carried out by poetess Matilda Cugler-Poni, considered for good reasons as a forerunner of feminine lyricism in Romanian poetry of the end of the 19th century.
          There are also displayed ih her room documents concernign the family of the poetess, whose origin was in Austria, more exactly: Copy of the ennobling certificate of the Cugler family by Empress Maria Tereza, in 1744, certificate of construction recognition, belonging to Carol Cugler, the poetess' father.
          The objects of decorativ art, the jewelry case of gilded silver, the ivory binoculars bring back to life aspects related to the daily preoccupations of Petru Poni's wife.

Radu–Cernatescu Room

          The room includes furniture items, photos, diplomas and personal items which belonged to Radu Cernatescu, nephew of Petru Poni; professor at the Chair of Analytic and Inorganic Chemistry of “Al. I. Cuza” University; researcher in the fields of inorganic chemistry, analytic chemistry, chemistry of biologically active compounds, chemistry of the compounds; founding member of the Iasi Branch of the Romanian Academy and of “Petru Poni” Institute of Macromolecular Chemistry.
The exhibition includes a series of objects illustrating the artistic preoccupations of the chemist, and among them: "Bösrandörfer” piano, used by him and the teacher Margareta Poni (Petru Poni's daughter) and the patephone His Master's Voice, with an important collection of ebonite disks.

Iassy Chemistry Personalities Room

         In this room are displayed important documents, specialized books, diplomas, photographs and personal items which belonged to renowned professors: Nicolae Costachescu, Anastasie Obregia, Constantin V. Gheorghiu, Ilie Matei, Gheorghe Alexa, Mihai Dima, Ion Zugravescu.
          The museum has the privelege of offering the public the first PhD thesis in the field of chemistry in Romania intitled "The Gases Contained by Salt and the Mud Volcanos in Romania", sustained at the Faculty of Sciences in Iasi, by Nicolae Costachescu, in 1905.           There are also testimonies regarding the appreciations and rewards received in time by chemist Petru Poni, such as: Diploma of Member of the French Order "Honor Legion” (1900), Diploma of Member of the Natural Science Society of Moscow (1910) and Order "St Sava - - Degree The Great Cross” (Serbia, 1896).

Poetry Kiosk

          The park of the house with its kiosk, also named the “poetry kiosk”-reconstructed by “Moldova” National Museum Consortium of Iasi in 1995 - where once lyrics were read by Mihai Eminescu, Veronica Micle, Matilda Cugler-Poni, assures one of the attractions of the museum.
          The kiosk is made of fir tree wood, respecting the architecture of the initial structure existing on the spot until 1980. The alleys create a balanced fragmentation of the green space, pointing out the trees of various species, the flower beds and the natural slopes. The well, whose reconstruction unfortunately could not be done according to any photographic evidence, completes the image of the park, assuring the counterpart of shape and volume to the museum building and the moderate vertical axis of the "Poetry Kiosk". This is the favourite location for poetry contests, meetings with personalities in the field of literature, history, art and music.

>> photo gallery <<

| history| museum | colections | events | contact | info |
RO <<
by: webmaster